Safer sleep encompasses all of the following for the baby:
- Put on their back to sleep
- Feet to the foot of the cot
- No pillow
- Loose bedding, not covering head
- Firm, flat, waterproof mattress
- Separate cot or basket in same room as parent for 6 months. No bed-sharing.
- Don’t let baby get too hot
- Keep environment smoke-free
- Breast-feed if possible
If the baby rolls over onto its tummy during sleep, he/she should put on their back again, until they are able to roll from front-to-back independently.
External link: The Lullaby Trust