The following blood products should be irradiated (<24h) prior to transfusion:
- in-utero red cells or platelets
- red cells following in-utero red cell or platelet transfusion, until 6/12 CGA
- platelets following in-utero platelet transfusion, until 6/12 CGA
- donor is a 1st or 2nd degree relative (rare in UK)
- red cells for exchange transfusion only if irradiation will not delay the procedure.
Reference: Treleaven, J., Gennery, A., Marsh, J., Norfolk, D., Page, L., Parker, A., … & Webb, D., 2011. Guidelines on the use of irradiated blood components prepared by the British Committee for Standards in Haematology blood transfusion task force. British Journal of Haematology; 152(1): 35-51.
Previously published: 13/03/14, 20/01/15